Freedom and Roam Uganda (FARUG) is a Lesbian, Bisexual and Queer (LBQ) diverse persons and womyn’s rights organisation based in Uganda and established in 2003.
We are feminist organization that reinforces feminist culture and principles, equality of womyn as stipulated in human rights and international instruments.
We challenge male chauvinism, patriarchy and cultures that aim at oppressing womyn. We create womyn autonomous spaces, challenge heteronomativity and forge sisterhood and solidarity.
FARUG is the oldest sorely Lesbian, Bisexual and Queer womyn organization that has been actively leading and organizing on sexual orientation and gender identity through lobbying, dialogue to create and facilitate greater visibility and voice.
Strategy & Vision
A society in which the rights, freedom and equality of LBQ womyn are guaranteed and there is no discrimination based on sexuality or gender identity.
To empower LBQ womyn in Uganda and jointly advocate for the respect, protection and fulfillment of their rights.
A healthy and vibrant LBQ community that is respected, well informed, competent, and committed to individual and community development.
- Transparency and accountability
- To advocate for an environment in which the rights of LBQ Womyn are respected and protected.
- To promote and advocate for equal access to friendly, non-discriminative & inclusive services to LBQ womyn.
- To promote Socio-economic rights and empowerment of LBQ womyn in Uganda.
- To strengthen FARUG’s institutional capacity to be a more accountable and effective organization.